Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Prayer - what is the right way?

I often used to think to myself what is the best way to pray. Often I would listen to people praying and felt that my prayer style was inadequate . Questions arose in my mind like: How often should I pray in a day?, How long should I pray for? How should I pray?etc . I guess God heard my questions and led me to watch a Joyce Meyer program on the very subject. I felt much better after it and learnt the following things:
1) Pray as who God made you to be . If you like using words like 'cool' or 'brill' go ahead and use it.
Prayer is not supposed to be dull and monotonous but full of passion.
2) Pray as if you're talking to a best friend - after all God is our best friend
3) Prayer doesn't have to be of a certain length . Start and then finish - could be 5 mins or could be an hour - it really doesn't matter
4) You can pray whilst doing everyday tasks - like when you are washing the dishes or watering the plants - can be a one line prayer ' Thank you Father for the beautiful plants you have created' for example is a prayer
So, really there is not right or wrong way. Just pray the way you are :-)

2 comments:

Aurun said...

Hi shai,

so glad to see your post, actually I wanted to post a question as to what prayer is and surprisingly you wrote about it.
Yes Prayer should be passionate. Do you think discipline helps us to stoke up the passion or atleast keep it alive?

Aurun

Anonymous said...

Hmmm that's a toughie. In one way we should be disciplined and make prayer habitual but on the other hand it could lead to praying for the sake of praying so that we don't feel bad or because we might think that God is unhappy with us if we don't.
I think on the whole even if we don't pray as often as we should God wouldn't mind so much as long as we are being sincere when we pray.